In this week’s episode of Getting Work To Work, I talk about whether an artist should be a generalist or a specialist. As a creative generalist with interests in multiple subjects including filmmaking, web design and development, photography, teaching and more, I struggle with the advice of picking one pursuit and doing only that. I mention the original Renaissance man, an interview with Joseph Campbell by Bill Moyers, Chris Brogan’s The Freaks Shall Inherit The Earth, and the movie Hudson Hawk.
- The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers
- The Freaks Shall Inherit The Earth by Chris Brogan
- Hudson Hawk
- Chris Martin (@cmstudios) on Twitter
- Chris Martin (@chrismartinstudios) on Facebook
How You Can Embrace Your Generalist Tendencies Today:
- Be you.
- Master focus.
- Establish a schedule of learning and expression.
- Be present and always ask yourself: “How will I show up for the people who matter today?”