At the end of every interview, I ask my guest about a book or resource that has impacted them. One book that seems to come up a lot is The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life by Twyla Tharp. I just started reading it and my mind is blown with how good it is. It is extremely relevant to what we as creative professionals go through on a daily basis. In this episode of Getting Work To Work, I’m going to share a quote from the book about how important it is to be ready to do your creative work when inspiration strikes.
“Everything is raw material. Everything is relevant. Everything is usable. Everything feeds into my creativity. But without proper preparation, I cannot see it, retain it, and use it. Without the time and effort invested in getting ready to create, you can be hit by the thunderbolt and it’ll just leave you stunned.” – Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life.
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life by Twyla Tharp
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield
- Austin Kleon
- Getting Work To Work (@gwtwpodcast) on Twitter
- Chris Martin (@cmstudios) on Twitter
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab