You ever have one of those moments where you find yourself completely jealous of a friend for doing their creative work? This weekend, I found myself in a weird mood as I passively watched every single Instagram story about the project. In that state of jealousy, I began noticing other people making short films over the weekend for the 48 Hour Film Project. It’s like when you want to buy a car and start seeing it everywhere (this is known as the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon). I was seeing these creative projects all over the place! What was I doing wrong? Well for one, sitting on my couch, watching other people create, instead of getting up and doing something about it. Oh, the power of creative jealousy.
Six positive questions to ask yourself when faced with creative jealousy:
- What have I created in the past?
- What am I creating now?
- What am I dreaming of creating in the future?
- How much time are you spending bringing your work to life?
- What is one step I can take today?
- Who can I reach out to for encouragement or collaboration?