One of the subjects I love learning about is creativity, specifically how to generate new ideas. Recently, I was reading the book Curious by Ian Leslie and I was captivated by the comparison of our long-term memory to a database and that creativity arrives when our subconscious accesses our mental databases and generates new ideas that we couldn’t have considered. So, the question is, what’s in your mental database?
7 Ways to Build Your Mental Database:
- Start with your interests. Be a generalist. Be curious about anything and everything.
- Dive deep into your specialties.
- Don’t try to make explicit connections, let your subconscious mind figure it all out.
- Fill your mind with new content every day.
- Find ways to make content stick in your mind.
- Don’t fear books and content that make you work for it.
- Put your mental database to work every day.
- Curious: The Desire to Know and Why Your Future Depends On It by Ian Leslie
- Getting Work To Work (@gwtwpodcast) on Twitter
- Chris Martin (@cmstudios) on Twitter
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab