“Getting Started With Video” Series
Recently I was at a local event with several non-profit organizations in attendance that wanted to know more about video, specifically how to get started using video to tell their stories. Throughout August, I want to share some of the ways you can use video and the various online networks:
- Using Facebook Live and Periscope
- Using YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, and Wistia
- Using Instagram and Snapchat
- Using Video on Your Website
Before We Get Started: The Difference Between Live and Produced Video
Many of the questions I received at the above mentioned event were centered around this idea of a live video vs. produced video. Live video was often more attractive because the production cost was lower than producing a professional video. Additionally, immediacy was a critical factor in getting a timely message to their audience.
What I kept coming back to in my answers were these difference between a live and produced video:
- There is more intention behind a produced video. That’s not to say that live video is akin to winging it, but there is more planning and production-value possible when producing a video.
- Live video has a shorter shelf life. Facebook Live and Periscope will save your live broadcasts for future use, but the emphasis is typically on the moment. A produced video that is not date-specific can have an impact for months and years if made well.
- The quality of a produced video exceeds live video (for now). The live broadcasts I have seen are either from a phone—with low quality video, shaky, and the usual craftsmanship of a home video—or from a laptop. A professional camera operator or someone that took the time to buy a stable tripod is worth all of the money in the world.
- Just because something is live doesn’t mean it’s important or good. Knowing what you want to accomplish is even more crucial with live because the stakes aren’t as high.
I encourage you to think about the stories you tell, the people you reach, and the outcome you want. Knowing these three things will affect your production for the better and cause you to stand out.
Stay tuned next Wednesday for an in-depth look at Facebook Live and Periscope.